Child Student Visa (Tier 4)

Who can apply?

If you are a child aged between 4 and 17 years old and want to study in the UK at an Independent School, it might be possible with a Child student visa (Tier 4), provided that you are able to meet the requirements.

Eligibility Requirements

First of all, in order to leave the country and study abroad you would require the consent of your parents or guardian(s).

Later on, you need to choose the right course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor and receive an unconditional offer of a place on that course. Here you can find the list of Registered Sponsors: Sponsor List

The list of schools is long, as the UK has one of the best schooling systems in the world. It is a good investment towards your future, as upon successful completion of your course(s) you will have worldwide recognised qualifications.

Nonetheless, you must also make sure that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in the UK and pay for your course. The amount of money that you will need to show depends on where you will be studying and your care arrangements while in the UK.

Application process

In order to apply for a Tier 4 child student visa you must submit an online application before you travel. The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you start your course, however you cannot apply later than 6 months after you have been sent the CAS. You should usually receive a decision within 3 weeks. The current visa application fee from outside the UK for a Tier 4 Child Student visa is £348.

You can only make an application from the UK if you are already here and have a valid visa that is about to run out, and you would like to extend your existing Tier 4 (Child) student visa or switch to this visa from another visa. If you need to make an application from the UK, the current visa application fee is £475.

Immigration Health Surcharge

In addition to the application fees you also need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge. The Immigration Health Surcharge is a financial contribution to the UK’s National Health Service. You need to pay the surcharge if you are a non-EEA national and were granted immigration permission to enter, or leave to remain in the UK to study for a time-limited period of more than six months. You will pay the charge (currently £300 for each period of 12 months’ leave granted) when you make your application.

Care of Children while Abroad

All children studying in the UK must have suitable care arrangements in place for their travel, reception on arrival in the UK and living arrangements while here. All students under 18 years old are classed as children and must have appropriate arrangements in place.

Therefore, if you are the parent or guardian of a child who is coming to study in the UK, it is necessary that you follow your child to the UK and apply for a Tier 4 child Parent visa, or set up a legal guardian(s), who will be an emergency contact in the UK and can help your child when needed.

A Tier 4 child student visa might be a good investment in a child’s future, as it would broaden their horizons and enable him/her to gain worldwide recognised qualifications. The visa application process might be a bit complex, but we are here to help and we offer full assistance to secure the right outcome.