Student visa ( Tier 4) – Tier 4 (General) and Tier 4 (Child)

If you wish to come to the UK to study for an extended amount of time there are two visas you can apply for:

  1. 16 years old and over – you may need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa.
  2. Between 4 and 17 years old you may need to apply for a Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa.

You are not required to apply for these visas if you are from a country that is in the EEA or Switzerland.

Tier 4 (General) Student Visa:

If you wish to apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa, to study in the UK, you must meet certain eligibility requirements:

  • Age 16+.
  • Unconditional offer for the course you intend to study.
  • Licensed Tier 4 sponsor.
  • Must be able to speak, read, write and understand English.
  • Must have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course.

If this is the route for you then contact our office today and our Immigration Solicitor can help by providing you with advice on whether the course you have applied for meets the correct criteria. Our Immigration Solicitor can advise you on the maintenance requirements and amount of money required for this type of application. Finally, our Immigration Solicitor can help to guide you in choosing a course which will fulfill the criteria set down by the Home Office, ensuring your education goes smoothly and you can just focus on your studies.

Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa:

For a child aged between 4 and 17 wishing to enter the UK for their education, you should apply for a Tier 4 (Child) student visa. The requirements for this visa are:

  • The child will attend an independent fee paying school in the UK.
  • The child must have a place on the course and will need enough money to cover their living costs and course fees.
  • The child must have the consent of a parent or guardian.

Our immigration solicitor will be able to guide you through the requirements to ensure they are sufficiently met.

Short-Term Study Visa:

There are alternative options for those wishing to attend, or who are already enrolled on a Short Study Course in the UK, such as an English Language course or a training course. If this applies to you, you may be able to apply for a Short-Term Study Visa. This type of visa may also be appropriate if you wish to do a short period of research as part of a degree course if you are studying abroad. Alternatively, you may be able to apply for a Standard Visitor Visa if you wish to study on a course which is up to no more than 30 days in total depending on the nature of your visit and the course itself.

Parents of a Tier 4 (Child) Visa:

Under a Tier 4 (Child) Visa you can come to the UK as the parent of a child, if the child is under the age of 12 and is attending an independent fee-paying day school. Requirements include:

  • Adequate and reliable funds to maintain a second home in the UK
  • Adequate funds to accommodate and support yourself without taking up employment and getting help from public funds.
  • Able to show that you can meet the cost of an outward journey from the UK without help from public funds.

Our immigration solicitor will be able to provide you will guidance on any restrictions when entering the UK under this visitor visa type, such as taking paid or unpaid employment, producing goods or providing services. We can further advise you on alternative ways of satisfying these requirements, such as you and any dependents being supported and accommodated by relatives or friends in the UK.

If successful, you will be allowed to enter and stay for a maximum for 12 months provided you satisfy the requirements for this visa. Our immigration solicitor will be able to provide guidance on how to extend your stay for 12 months at a time provided you still satisfy the relevant requirements.

How can our Immigration Solicitor Help you?

  • Our immigration solicitor is able to provide you with more advice about the relevant immigration law and guide you through your application for entry clearance as a Tier 4 Student, Short Term Study Visa or Standard Visitor Visa and which one is best for you.
  • If you have been refused a Student Visa, our Immigration Solicitor can help you make a fresh application for your specific circumstances.
  • Our Immigration Solicitor is able to advise on varying or extending a current visa for which you must meet certain eligibility requirements such as already being in the UK and being already sponsored by an independent school. If applicable our Immigration Solicitor is also able to give advice on switching to, or from, a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa and will be able to assist you in this process.
  • If you wish to study in the UK and bring family members with you for your studies our Immigration Solicitor can advise on the process however this will vary depending on your individual circumstances and where you intend to study.
  • Similarly, if parents wish to join their child who is studying in the UK, our Immigration Solicitor can advise on the procedure here.